Sunday, December 14, 2008

I could have danced all night....

Wow...I have not posted on here for a while...for quite a long while... :P
Well...Thanksgiving went well..and Christmas (just kidding, although it is coming up way too quickly!) We didn't get together with relatives or anything, because they all live in Minnesota and Wisconsin :( But we did get together with a family we have been friends with forever, it was just a very relaxing and eventful evening. Lets see, what other important events have happened in the past month? Ft. Nisqually's christmas event was last weekend, and that went really well. It was good to see everyone and be at my second home again for the day :) This weekend was quite exciting, full of important things and lots of snow and ice!! Friday was, umm..well, interesting to say the least. I had to go to the dentist and get a number of cavities worked on (the dentists can't understand why....i brush faithfully and NEVER have sugar or drink pop). But, unfortunately I had some cavities, and the dentist had my mouth pried open for TWO hours and worked on me. My right side of my face was swollen and numb all day and I couldn't talk well at all :P (I was quite the sight ;) After that, I was tired so I just read for a while, and then baked up some things for the weekend. Saturday was a full day....I worked from 8-12:30 (usually I have to work Saturdays 'til 5, but my boss let me leave early :) and then headed over to see everyone at the Ft. Nisqually AI Christmas party. I was only there for a bit, but it was good to see some people I don't usually get to be with (especially Kelsey, back from college in Mississippi!! :) Then a bunch of us drove over to Ft. Steilacoom, for their Christmas re-enactment, and began the long process of changing into our lovely outfits for the ballroom. The girls dressing room was quite fun, it was lit by candles, and everyone was doing each others hair, lacing up corsets, petticoats filling the floor :P It felt like a scene from Little Women or Pride and Prejudice or something :) Although, next year, hopefully I will be able to find a silk ball gown to wear (I was the only one not wearing silk) (except for the guys of course ;) But, I did like the dress I wore, and it was pretty nice for having found out the week before I needed to find a dress! Hopefully my sewing machine will be up and running again eventually and I can make a dress at some point. Enough rambling...moving on...the dance was quite fun! We had about the same number of gentlemen as ladies (a rare happening!!). So everyone was able to do most of the dances. Jonathan Pollock provided some amazing fiddle music and we all danced the night away! And I was able to learn some English country dances (like from Pride and Prejudice) and I LOVED them...they are so graceful and elegant! Although I never did get to waltz, which is always fun :( To top off the night, it snowed!! So we all took some pictures out in the snow and walked around a bit. It was quite the end to a great evening! I drove home in my period clothes, because I needed to get home and beat the ice and snow, and didn't have time to change. I ended up getting lost, of course (with my amazing sense of direction ;) and had NO clue where to go, when fortunately the Pollocks pulled up next to me at a street light, and I was able to follow them to the freeway. So Saturday was quite the day filled with adventures :) This morning, I woke up, and we had three inches of snow here in Bonney Lake, and roads were sheer ice. So I was not able to make it to church this morning. My dad and I tried to drive around this morning (with much slipping and sliding) and came up with a semi-safer route for me to get to the freeway for later in the day. So I was able to make it in time for the party starting after church, at the Pollock's church. It was a great day filled with laughter and dancing and fellowship. (I seriously love that church, the two times I have been there, I have already felt so welcome :). And it snowed for the last half of the party, which was a nice treat, but then there was the drive home. It was quite interesting, I drove 15 miles per hour on the freeway (that was how slow everyone was driving!), and when I got into Bonney Lake, the "safe route" I drove earlier to get to my house was still ok, although pretty slick in some parts. I just crawled along, and now I am home safe and sound. And I felt like posting all about my great weekend :)
I hope everyone else had a great weekend! And now I am off to go watch Anne of Green Gables :-) 'Night all!

3 comments:

J-Man said...

Do you hate dentists as much as I do? If you think of it, all they do is cause you pain and then charge you for it. And then to add insult to injury they try to chat while working in your mouth. I don’t know about you, but I find it difficult to communicate in any form (except email) with cotton balls falling down my throat and sharp utensils sticking out of my gums while the dental assistant revs up a drill that holds a strong resemblence to a chainsaw.

Well anyway, the snow on Saturday was beautiful and Steilicoom bustled with life. Snow always reminds me that God is in control, sometimes He uses it to remind us of how weak and passing we really are, with a close call on the road. Other times He uses the slippery conditions to take those home who are ready for the kingdom of God, or pass judgment on a sinner.

I am glad to hear that you feel welcome at the church I hope that you will continue to come and learn the important doctrines of the faith.

PS Can't stand Ann of Green Gables

God bless

Jonathan L.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you made it home safe! It took us nearly 2 hours to get home and we are just in Puyallup!! Dancing was so much fun! I can't wait 'till next year!

I'm glad that you like our church too!

Blue-eyed lass said...

haha, I totally despise going to the dentist!! And yes, I find it impossible to communicate. They ask all these wierd questions and when I finally manage to mumble something...they do the exact opposite of what I say :P And I find the chainsaw quite scary :P No way do I want something like that in my mouth!
Yeah, snow is like that. It makes me just sit back and realize God's goodness and His amazing creation. Its so peaceful...but yes I totally agree about the slippery conditions...I had a number of close calls on it this weekend!
That is what I like about the church, they include things that many churchs leave out, specifically Biblical doctrine and theology and such. Too many churches these days pass by too much. I feel like I found what I have been looking for.
And how can you not stand Anne of Green Gables (by the way...you forgot the "e" in Anne...thats a no-no in the movie :P) Oh wait...you are a guy...I guess it is more of a girl movie ;)
And Melissa - I can't wait 'til next year either :)
Anyway enough of me writing a novel... :P